EPSC 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Chemical Reaction, Magnetite, Calcite

23 views3 pages

Document Summary

Each carbon atom shares one electron with four other carbon atoms to form a. Each atom bonds to four neighbors arranged in the form of a tetrahedron. Bonds between the carbon atoms are covalent: their electron clouds overlap bonds are strong. Covalent bonding of 3 carbon atoms within each sheet: within the sheets carbon atoms share their electrons with 3 other carbon atoms through covalent bonding. Diamonds originate under extremely high pressure: around 150 km deep in the upper mantle, pure carbon is compressed into the diamond structure. Rifting causes deep-mantle rock to move upward. A tiny early crystal acts as a seed for further growth. Atoms migrate to the seed and attach to the outer face. Growth moves faces outward from the center. U(cid:374)i(cid:395)ue shape (cid:396)efle(cid:272)ts the (cid:272)(cid:396)(cid:455)stal"s i(cid:374)te(cid:396)(cid:374)al ato(cid:373)i(cid:272) o(cid:396)de(cid:396) Resulting crystal shape is governed by surroundings: open space good crystal faces grow, confined space no crystals.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers