Fall 2017

Department
Management Core
Course Code
MGCR 423
Professor
Moore
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
STRATEGY LECTURE 4: EXTERNAL ENVIRONMENT
Analysis: Enabling the Right Decision
Analysis supports the decision making process, it should no hinder the decision making but
make it stronger
Key objectives of the analysis
o Ensure key facts are being brought forward
o Ensure the right issues and opportunities are being addressed
o Create a level knowledge playing field for strategic planning participants
o Select the correct strategies to achieve the vision
o Create buy in
External Environmental Analysis (insert graph)
General environment:
o Focused on elements in the broader society than can indirectly influence an industry an
the firms within the industry
o Influenced by demographic, economic, political/legal, sociocultural, technological,
global and sustainable physical.
o Firms cannot directly control these environmental elements, but can analyze and predict
trends
Industry environment:
o Focused on factors and conditions influencing a firm’s profitability within an industry
such as threat of new entrants, power of suppliers, power of buyers, the threat of
substitutes and intensity of rivalry among competing firms
Competitor environment:
o Focused on predicting the dynamics of competitor’s actions, responses and intentions
o How companies gather and interpret information about competitors is called competitor
analysis
o Combination of the two prior analyses
Market and Customers (4th) not in text
Four Components of the External Environmental Analysis
1. Scanning- identifying early signs of environmental changes and trends
o Often reveals ambiguous, incomplete data that requires careful analysis
o Internet provides a lot of opportunity for scanning
2. Monitoring detecting meaning through ongoing observations of environmental changes and
trends
o Requires a firm to identify important stakeholders and understand its reputation with these
stakeholders
o Scanning and monitoring are very important when a firm competes in an environment with
high technological uncertainty
3. Forecasting- developing projections of anticipated outcomes based on monitored changes and
trends
4. Assessing- determining the timing and importance of environmental changes and trends for
firm’s strategies and their management
find more resources at oneclass.com
o The previous 3 allow you to understand the general environment. Intent of assessing is
to find the implications of your understanding
SWOT Analysis: Good For a First Pass
Valuable for starting discussions it is not enough to make real strategic decisions
External components:
o Opportunity: a condition in the general environment that, if exploited effectively, helps a
firm achieve strategic competitiveness
o Threat: a condition in the general environment that may hinder a firm’s efforts to
achieve strategic competitiveness
Areas you want to look at when performing a SWOT
General Environment: 7 Dimensions
Seven dimensions in the broader society that influence an industry and the firms within it:
o Demographic
o Economic
o Political/legal (sometimes divided into separate categories)
o Sociocultural
o Technological
o Global
o Physical (also sometimes called environmental)
Important to look at both trends in the general environmental and what is driving those trends
(“drivers”)
PESTEL, similar but different
The General Environment: Segments and Elements

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
STRATEGY LECTURE 4: EXTERNAL ENVIRONMENT Analysis: Enabling the Right Decision Analysis supports the decision making process, it should no hinder the decision making but make it stronger Key objectives of the analysis o Ensure key facts are being brought forward o Ensure the right issues and opportunities are being addressed o Create a level knowledge playing field for strategic planning participants o Select the correct strategies to achieve the vision o Create buy in External Environmental Analysis (insert graph) General environment: o Focused on elements in the broader society than can indirectly influence an industry an the firms within the industry o Influenced by demographic, economic, politicallegal, sociocultural, technological, global and sustainable physical. o Firms cannot directly control these environmental elements, but can analyze and predict trends Industry environment: o Focused on factors and conditions influencing a firms profitability within an industry such as threat of new entrants, power of suppliers, power of buyers, the threat of substitutes and intensity of rivalry among competing firms Competitor environment: o Focused on predicting the dynamics of competitors actions, responses and intentions o How companies gather and interpret information about competitors is called competitor analysis o Combination of the two prior analyses th Market and Customers (4 ) not in text Four Components of the External Environmental Analysis 1. Scanning identifying early signs of environmental changes and trends o Often reveals ambiguous, incomplete data that requires careful analysis o Internet provides a lot of opportunity for scanning 2. Monitoring detecting meaning through ongoing observations of environmental changes and trends o Requires a firm to identify important stakeholders and understand its reputation with these stakeholders o Scanning and monitoring are very important when a firm competes in an environment with high technological uncertainty 3. Forecasting developing projections of anticipated outcomes based on monitored changes and trends 4. Assessing determining the timing and importance of environmental changes and trends for firms strategies and their management
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit