MUAR 393 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Meade Lux Lewis, Twelve-Bar Blues, Louis Armstrong

35 views3 pages

Document Summary

3 secions of 4 bars blues lyrics: repeiive couplet and ironic reply: uniquely american form, repeated line usually has a twist that is used to emphasis the second line. Honky tonk train blues, by meades lux lewis boogy woogy piano: pete johnson, albert almens, meades lux lewis. 1935 chicago steady let-hand baseline extending of triplet rits across many bars: juxtaposiion of rhythms an essenial element of jazz. I iv i v i: repeated couplet with ironic answer. Syncopaion: emphasizing the weaker beats: thinking of the of-beat creates a jazz feel, accening the weaker part of the beat. Break away from new orleans style: more sophisicated improvisaion, thinner sound, less vibrato, lighter sound that loats over the tempo. Very important improviser ater louis armstrong: first one to go against the grain , saxophone solo. Saxophone solo: less range, develops an idea, less sustained notes, syncopaion, light bounce, smoothed out the eight notes more evenly.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers