Music-Arts Faculty
Course
MUAR 392
Professor
Melvin Backstrom
Semester
Summer

Description
MUAR 392 Lecture Notes May 16 Chapter 50 “Of Pop and Pies and Fun”  Crucial practice of African-American culture (see in particular Henry Louis  Author Lester Bangs very influential rock Gates Jr. The Signifying Monkey [1988]) critic  See Youtube Clip  Why does he like the Stooges?  “Stunningly simple”; “simplicity so basic Chapter 53 Reading it‟s almost pristine”; “first name group to actually form before they even knew  Sly vs. Superfly: referring to 1972 how to play” – what is the critical blaxpoitation film Superfly – Soundtrack position taken here? by Curtis Mayfield  Why can‟t Rock “grow up”, according to  StagerLee Bangs? o Based on African American Stagger Lee Shelton convicted  Represents new critical discourse very influential on later punk rock. of 1895 Murder  Soon after immortalized in various Chapter 53-55 Soul into Funk songs; transformed into trickster figure of African-American mythology (related  Roots to Signifying Monkey); Sly, Streetwise, o James Brown‟s musical turn to cool, tough focus on rhythm over melody  What according to Marcus, is going on and harmony in the music he talks about?  Politics  What is the music‟s relation to the film o Strong assertion of positive Across 110 Street, that he discusses? black identity What “masks” were audiences not given  Musical Characteristics (page 296)? o Little harmonic movement, Stevie Wonder prominent use of synthesizers, use of horns, bass foregrounded, rhythmic division  1962-1970 of 16 note, heavily syncopated, o “Little” Stevie Wonder as Motown star often slap bass and wah-wah pedal  1971  Split into 1970s between “sweet” soul o Negotiates new contract with Motown giving him full artistic coming from Northern Motown style (e.g. Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, control, releases Where I’m Jackson 5 Commodores) and “funky” Coming From... from South soul Stax, Atlantic (e.g.  1972 James Brown, Sly & the Family Stone, o Releases Music of My Mind and P-Funk) Talking Book, tours with Rolling Stones Chapter 53 Sly and the Family Stone, “Thank  Notable that he writes or co-writes all U Falettin Me Be Mice Elf Agin” (1970) songs, plays most instruments as well as co-produces albums  Why the misspel
More Less

Related notes for MUAR 392

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit