Music-Arts Faculty
Course
MUAR 392
Professor
Melvin Backstrom
Semester
Summer

Description
MUAR 392 Lecture Notes May 28 Song Analysis some of which probably helps fuel musical developments  By “vertical” description I mean what is  Without resources to buy traditional happening all together a single moment musical instruments, some in time. improvised...e.g. turntables!  By “horizontal” description I mean how does the music change over time. What is an MC? The Hip Hop Aesthetic  Title for rapper (1970s and 80s) short for Master of Ceremonies  Complex of cultural practices  Uses rhyming verses, prewritten or o DJing freestyle o MCing  Introduce and praise DJ, hype up crowd, o Breakdancing etc. o Graffiti o Beatboxing What is a DJ in hip-hop? o Fashion o Language  Selects, plays and manipulates pre- o Etc... recorded music  Uses turntables, synthesizers, drum Music Aesthetic machines  Early-1980s: invention of digital sampler  Combined practice of DJ and MC made sound manipulation easier  Dominance of guitar is challenged  Continuing African-American musical Early DJs tradition, melody and harmony firmly subordinated to rhythm  DJ Kool Herc o Explored break beats (switching Origin of Hip Hop between two turntables)  Grand Master Flash  South Bronx, late 1970s o Developed scratching  Three primary influences techniques o Disco DJ o African American verbal arts First Rap Recording Released (signifying, toasting) o Jamaican sound system man  Sugerhill Gang “Rapper’s Delight” combined DJ and MC) (1979)  What are some of its musical elements? What was the socio-economic condition of How is it different than other music the South Bronx (NYC in general in fact) at we’ve heard? this time? How might this have influenced  Took break beats from Chic’s disco hit development of hip-hop? “Good Times” (1979)  “White flight” leaving urban centers with Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five mostly poor minorities: consequent drop “The Message” (1982) Important and in tax base leads to severe deprivation Influential Early Artist and Track of municipal drop in tax base leads to severe deprivation of municipal Broken glass everywhere resources; in New York City millions move out and city almost goes bankrupt People pissing on the stairs in mid-1970s You know they just don’t care  South Bronx one of worst affected area; NYC blackout of 1977 leads to looting I can’t take the smell, I can’t the noise Got no money to move out, I guess I got no  True or False? Why? choice o See Page 476 of Reader Rats in the front room, roaches in the back Chapter 81 Sampling Junkies in the alley with a baseball bat  Is there a line between theft and creative I tried to get away, but I couldn’t get far recontextualization?  1991 o Issue gets publicity when two hit Cause the man with the tow-truck repossessed rap songs quite obviously my car “borrow” key elements  Examples (Chorus)
More Less

Related notes for MUAR 392

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit