Islam and Democracy
• Islam compatible with modern state?
◦ tradition of shura (consultation)?
◦ resistance to democracy from inside? outside?
• threat of democracy?
◦ fear of Islamist takeover
• compare with democratic transitions in non-Arab Muslim majority states
Islam and the State
• Defining the Islamic State
◦ based on sharia (Islamic law)
◦ Saudi Arabia? Iran? Sudan? Pakistan?
Islam and IR: Pan-Islamism and OIC
• role of Islam in FP?
◦ how define? spectrum? Muslim Politics (183)?
◦ National interest vs. Muslim identity
• organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
◦ est. 1969; 57 member states
◦ aims to
▪ preserve Islamic values
▪ promote solidarity
▪ increase cooperation in social, economic, cultural, scie