POLI 319 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: John Iv Of Portugal, Bolivarian Revolution, Emergent Democracy

33 views7 pages
POLI319: Wednesday January 17th, 2018
Guerra (1994): European Roots of Representation
- Boliaria ‘eolutio aross “outh Aeria oerthre old sstes of asolutis ad
despotis
- Replaced by national sovereignty: elite-driven, constitutionalist, representative institutions
Patriian Logi and Suffrage
- In early 1800s, political representation and voting became available
BUT
- Ol a aristorati iorit ould partiipate: the oldest ad ost distiguished eers of
the city, proud of the status of their lieage, fortue, ulture ad soial ifluee p. 
- Urban dwellers, well established and has virtually always had an illustrious family lineage, had
a degree of wealth and an established presence in the social circles of the time
- Not much different from ways franchise developed in Europe and in the US (similarly in
Europe had to have an aristocratic background to take party in early voting)
Constitutional Representation and Indigenous Populations (1800s)
- Countries with larger indigenous populations tended to be less free (Guerra 1994)- no
universal suffrage in Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia
- Chile and Argentina, by comparison, were among the most free
- Non-indigenous political elites tended to want to concentrate power in their hands, did not
want their power threatened by possibility of losing election or have a voting bloc that would
seek to get power from them
- Embraced democratic ideals but did not allow the franchise to be widespread
- Most free were ones with smaller indigeous populatios eause threat of otig lo ast
really there
The Brazilian Monarchy
- The seat of the Portuguese empire was transplanted to Brazil in 1808 by Emperor Dom Joao
IV, fleeing Napoleon
- When Joao returned to Portugal sought to leave in place a branch of his royal family to serve
as Brazilian king
- He left his eldest son, Pedro, to serve as Brazilian KIng
- Pedro aged a suessful idepedee ar agaist his fathers kigdo i 
- Crowned Pedro I, he returned to Portugal in 1831, leaving his 5-year-old son to govern
- Pedro II was sworn in in 1840 (14 years old at the time)
Brazil as Constitutional Monarchy
- Brazil had robust economic growth
- Railroads, shipping and telegraph lines, heavy industry
- Roots of Brazilian industrialization reach all the way back to 19th century
- Constitutionally guaranteed freedom of speech, and civil rights enshrined in law
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
- But denied these rights to women and slaves
Slavery in Brazil
- As a percentage of the population, slaves were 29% in 1823; 24% in 1854; 15% in 1872; 5% in
- Involved in sugar, rice, cotton, production, gold mining
- Abolitionists and pro-slavery advocates were divided along left-right lines in Brazilian politics
19th Century Brazilian Democracy
Economic prosperity began attracting European immigration by the mid 19th century
- In this instance, Brazilian democracy developing and becoming more strengthened
- Unlike much of Europe then, Brazil had no minimum income or literacy tests for voting (tools
used to stop poor people from voting)
- 10.8% of population voted in 1872
- It was bigger than participation at the same time in elections in Europe such as in the UK
(compared to 7% in the UK; 2% in Italy; 9% in Portugal; 2.5% in the Netherlands)
- In that way, Brazil stood as an emergent democracy at that time
Brazils First ‘epuli
- Pedro II (emperor) deposed by military coup in 1889
- Militar istalled First ‘epuli, federal sste here Brazil diided aordig to states
- With military in power and installing civilian govt.
-Brazilian politics was rife with corruption and a form of Caudillismo known as coronelismo
(buying off votes etc.)
- In this context, voting declined voting population declined to 2.5% (enthusiasm for
democracy and participation in democracy started to wain)
- Landowners who were political elites had a lot of political influence
- Landed oligarchies exercised great power
- Pattern of military involvement in politics (Involvement of military became the norm)
The Mexican Monarchy
- France invaded Mexico in 1861
- French installed Emperor Maximilian, younger brother of the Austrian Emperor, as Emperor of
Mexico in 1864
- Overthrown by the Mexican government and executed in 1867
Iage of Meios Emperor Maximilian (1832-1867)
The Mexican Revolution
- After fall of Mexican monarchy, there were strongmen who began to hold power
- Notably, Porfirio Diaz (1830-1915)
- Mexico was ruled by Porfirio Diaz from 1876-1880 and again from 1884-1911
- Diaz was a war hero but he regularly rigged elections and raised a militia, the Rurales, to crush
opposition
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Boli(cid:448)aria(cid:374) e(cid:448)olutio(cid:374) a(cid:272)ross outh a(cid:373)eri(cid:272)a o(cid:448)erthre(cid:449) old s(cid:455)ste(cid:373)s of (cid:862)a(cid:271)solutis(cid:373)(cid:863) a(cid:374)d (cid:862)despotis(cid:373)(cid:863) Replaced by national sovereignty: elite-driven, constitutionalist, representative institutions (cid:858)patri(cid:272)ian logi(cid:272)(cid:859) and suffrage. In early 1800s, political representation and voting became available. O(cid:374)l(cid:455) a(cid:374) aristo(cid:272)rati(cid:272) (cid:373)i(cid:374)orit(cid:455) (cid:272)ould parti(cid:272)ipate: (cid:858)the oldest a(cid:374)d (cid:373)ost disti(cid:374)guished (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)ers of the city, proud of the status of their li(cid:374)eage, fortu(cid:374)e, (cid:272)ulture a(cid:374)d so(cid:272)ial i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e(cid:863) (cid:894)p. (cid:1005)(cid:1005)(cid:895) Urban dwellers, well established and has virtually always had an illustrious family lineage, had a degree of wealth and an established presence in the social circles of the time. Not much different from ways franchise developed in europe and in the us (similarly in. Europe had to have an aristocratic background to take party in early voting) Countries with larger indigenous populations tended to be less free (guerra 1994)- no universal suffrage in ecuador, peru, and bolivia. Chile and argentina, by comparison, were among the most free.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers