Class Notes (1,100,000)
CA (630,000)
McGill (30,000)
PSYC (4,000)
PSYC 215 (500)
Lecture 20

PSYC 215 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Method Acting, Role Conflict, Stanford Prison ExperimentPremium

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 215
Professor
Mark Baldwin
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
PSYC215–Lecture#20:RolesandtheCreationofSocialReality
Role:asetofbehaviorsexpectedofsomeoneinaparticularpositioninasocialsystem
Ex.Occupationalroles(apoliceofficerwhoisexpectedtoactincertainways)
Ex.Familyroles(parentsandchildren,siblings;eachpersonhasexpectationsofhowtoact
dependingonpositioninthefamily)
Ex.Rolesintypicalinteractions(shortterm,situationalroles;ex.Customersalesperson
interaction,bossemployeeinteraction,doctorpatientinteraction)
Ex.Genderroles(prominentinthepastyetstillevidentinthepresent)

Definitions
Roleconflict:whentheexpectationsoftworolesonehasrequiresincompatiblebehaviors
oEx.Conflictbetweenparentingroleandworkplacerole
oWhenyoumustgiveapresentationinameetingbutthechildissickandyoumust
takecareofhim/her
Roledistance:experiencingandcommunicating(expressing)thatone’sroleisnotareflectionof
one’strueself
Roleidentification:experiencingaroleasareflectionofone’strueself
oRelatedto“methodacting”?
oWhenanactorbecomestherolethey’replayingtoexpressthingsmorenaturally
andcompelling
Justlikeinanorchestraorastageplay,whenpeopleplayrolestheycancreate“socialreality”
Thiscanbeuplifting,asinaweddingceremonyorinthetheater
Certainsituationsandrolescanproducedestructivebehaviors
oPowerofsituationoftenisnotnoticed,leadingtofundamentalattributionerror
oEx.AmericansoldiersinIraq,subjectingprisonerstoharshconditions
AbuGhraib
oPrisonsituationofteninvolveshostility,abusiveness,confrontation
oIsthatduetothepersonalitiesoftheindividuals?
RolesandSocialReality
Stanfordprisonexperiment
oPrisonguardvs.prisoner
oThegivenrole‘transformed’theprisonguards
oTerminatedafter6days
Guards:
oThey(prisoners)seemedtolosetouchwiththerealityoftheexperiment,theytook
mesoseriously
oLookingback,IamimpressedbyhowlittleIfeltforthem
Prisoners:
oIbegantofeelIwaslosingmyidentity…Iwasn’tTHATperson,Iwas416;Iwas
reallymynumber
oIlearnedthatpeoplecaneasilyforgetthatothersarehuman
DiscriminationandSocialReality
oJaneElliot,browneyes,blueeyesdemonstration
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Subscribers Only