PSYC 215 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Bill Morneau, Kerchief, Silent Treatment

12 views4 pages
12 Feb 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

How do you eat: noodles and hamburgers, switching the fork is an american thing. Conformity: changing one"s behaviour or beliefs in response to real or imagined pressure from others: to avoid criticism, disapproval, judgment, etc. With a partner, only 5% gave the wrong answer, the person show warmth toward the partner, but deny the influence: participants asked to write his answers, immune from criticism reduce the pressure to conform, conformity drops 2/3. Usa: prescriptive norm of nonconformity? conform to the nonconformity. Is conformity to avoid criticism, disapproval, judgment, etc. Study 1: cyberball: online ostracism: self-reported thoughts when being ostracized: I wonder if they like me i wonder if i did something wrong? : ostracism reduced feeling of belonging; reduced self-esteem, asch task: which complex figure has the first, shape embedded in it, conformity when group gave wrong answer: Control group (no cyberball first): 17% of trials. Ostracized: 27% of trials: people conforming at least once:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers