Fall 2014

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 304
Professor
Andrea Ashbaugh
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
Lecture 4 – Sept 14th
Ethics when studying children
In all psych research, must protect participants
Ability to understand, evaluate risks – power differential
-Informed consent
-Minimize harm
1. Informed consent of parent or guardian AND child
2. Do no psychological harm (deception may be harmful)
Ex Study: children under pressure that would show it during speech (they were subjected to constant criticism with grp1 and
not with grp 2 – the hypothesis was that it would induce stuttering)
Types of Research
1. Descriptive: Simply observing and recording minimal to no manipulation
Observational (Naturalistic or Structured)
Interview
Case Study (studying one person in detail or studying special observations)
2. Correlational: Attempt to identify a systematic relationship between two variables
3. Experimental: Identifying relationships and drawing causal conclusions
Quasi-Experimental: when you have two variables and you cannot really manipulate them in real life, you need
to study them as they are. Ex: studying kids who have ADHD and kids who don't (you cannot create it, or
manipulate it – look at relationship of two grouped observations) But, lose capacity to claim cause-effect)
*Self-report Bias: when people answer questions but are not accurate, or may lie (ex: drinking studies)
Developmental Research
Developmental: changes and continuities in behaviors and abilities over time
Measuring change over time
How?
1. Longitudinal Research
Repeated measurements of same people over time
*Attrition: when you lose a participant over time for whatever reason
Correlational or experimental
Assessing dis/continuity
-Can assess stability/persistence
-Long-term effects of early experience
Repeated testing and cohort effects may confound results (does one get better at it, or just used to the
experiment and knows what to do now? - also, the generation in time does not necessarily apply to the next)
2. Cross-Sectional Design
Groups of people at different ages tested at the same time (age independent variable)
Can answer questions about developmental differences, age-related trends
Cannot answer questions about stability or long-term effects of early experiences
*Cohort effects may account for findings
3. Cross-Sequential Design
Sequences
Cross-sectional study follow longitudinally
Or, Longitudinal study, and start cross-sectional every few years
4. Micro-genetic Method
Adapts longitudinal approach: repeated, intesive observations of a small number of participants over brief period
Used especially to study cognitive development
Detection of discontinuous developmental processes
Expensive, time-consuming, “repeated testing”
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
th Lecture 4 Sept 14 Ethics when studying children In all psych research, must protect participants Ability to understand, evaluate risks power differential Informed consent Minimize harm 1. Informed consent of parent or guardian AND child 2. Do no psychological harm (deception may be harmful) Ex Study: children under pressure that would show it during speech (they were subjected to constant criticism with grp1 and not with grp 2 the hypothesis was that it would induce stuttering) Types of Research 1. Descriptive: Simply observing and recording minimal to no manipulation Observational (Naturalistic or Structured) Interview Case Study (studying one person in detail or studying special observations) 2. Correlational:Attempt to identify a systematic relationship between two variables 3. Experimental: Identifying relationships and drawing causal conclusions QuasiExperimental: when you have two variables and you cannot really manipulate them in real life, you need to study them as they are. Ex: studying kids who haveADHD and kids who dont (you cannot create it, or manipulate it look at relationship of two grouped observations) But, lose capacity to claim causeeffect) *Selfreport Bias: when people answer questions but are not accurate, or may lie (ex: drinking studies) Developmental Research Developmental: changes and continuities in behaviors and abil
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit