Psychology (3,191)
PSYC 471 (159)

Psyc 471 - Nov 20.pdf

4 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PSYC 471
Richard Koestner

Nov. 20 FINAL EXAM: - 100 MC - readings from 1st half of course: WILL NOT BE COVERED - lectures from 1st half of course: WILL BE COVERED Cultural Internalization - how do you measure the way in which cultures have been internalized? - how do immigrants and children of immigrants internalize and integrate their diverse cultures? - are all cultural guidelines equally easy to internalize? - “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” - sometimes weʼre embarrassed by our parents and their traditions, but at same time we get message that we need to hold onto our culture - teenage years: parents struggle w/ whether kids are internalizing their host culture - common mistake: help thru client work thru ambivalence - what many of us will do is try to help person work thru ambivalence by assimilating and joining larger mainstream culture - but in article “The Best of Both Worlds”, psychologists say this is a mistake: heritage culture ID is integral to children of immigrants - not the best thing to get young ppl to push that ID aside - even at a young age, Koestner had an idea of what his parents were looking for Cultural internalization: process by which cultural beliefs and practices are adopted by the individual and then enacted in the absence of immediate external contingencies or constraints - goal of internalizing = it comes from inside and you guide own behaviour w/ what youʼve internalized - generally, kids are active part of process - parents help guide: - identification and integration - fully assimilated internalization - introjection - half accepting it; only doing it bc you have to - associated w/ neg. emotional experiences and cognitions - if youʼre able to fully internalize, then when youʼre engaging in cultural activities, you feel happy, engaged, donʼt feel alienated - when parents are controlling about doing the cultural activities, then youʼre more likely to introject them - if parents support your autonomy and give you change to digest the cultural practices, then youʼre more likely to fully internalize - in Canada, youʼre encouraged to hold onto your culture - in US, emphasis was on immigrants becoming like Americans Downie et al. 2004 - measured degree to which immigrants fully internalize their host and heritage cultures will importantly relate to their adjustment - internalizing heritage culture = positive - “How much do you pursue specific cultural traditions, practices and values for the following reasons? - external: “my parents and relatives want me to” - introjected: “I would feel ashamed, guilty, or anxious if I did not” - identified: “I really believe it is imp to do - I endorse it freely” - asked qs about the heritage culture, then about the host culture - adjustment measures: - pos and neg affect experienced in heritage and host cultural contexts - assessed global well-being - RESULTS: - the way you internalized the heritage culture predicted how you felt while doing things w/ ppl in heritage culture - similarly, how you internalized host culture predicted how you felt when NOT w/ heritage culture - if youʼre bicultural, some heritage cultural beliefs could be in contrast to mainstream culture - Downie interested if ppl can bring heritage and host cultures into harmony --> found to be strongly related to global well-being Why are some immigrants better able to internalize and integrate their multiple cultures? - hypothesis: parental autonomy support around cultural issues will promote autonomous internalization Measuring parental autonomy support re culture - measured how you perceived your parents supporting you around cultural activities - “My mother, whenever possible, allows me to choose how I will participate in my heritage culture” --> autonomous - “My father insists upon my doing things like
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 471

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.