Religious Studies
Course
RELG 356
Professor
Davesh Soneji
Semester
Fall

Description
Bombay Eunuch 2001Alexandra Shiva13 mill eunuchs in India some borncastratedconsidered to be divineneither malefemale somewhere in betweenmany beggarsprostitutes very poorstory of survivalNina 37 yo with eunuch family hedra community closed to outsidersdeepawith family for 11 yearsflat nothingness in place of sexual organs seen totally different human being paradigms discardedmost hidras raised as boys many undergo ritualized castrationtesticularpenile castrationvoluntary around 18 yearsreligious rolesingdance birth and weddings and offer blessingshijra blessing thought to bless many fear hijra cursenina very difficult lifeprostitution ostracized Kovai Silkalso hard life its okay to drink a little alcohol every day if it will help me to forget this kind of life im livingShobanagentle quiet beautiful goodheartedeunuch family relies on each other love support they do not have anywhere to go adopt daughtersMEENA has 15 will always have support of daughters when im an old lady there will be a daughter by my sidechain of motherdaughter relations taking care feeding massaging inheritance
More Less

Related notes for RELG 356

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit