SOCI 234 (13)

SOCI 234 Lecture 1 What is demography.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
Sociology (Arts)
SOCI 234
Dr.Sarah Brauner- Otto

What is demography?  The mathematical knowledge of populations, their general movements, and their physical, civil, intellectual and moral state  The scientific study of human populations - populations at any level (global, population of countries, apartment building, family etc.)  States (populations) o Size - how big o Structure - age, sex o Characteristics - education, race, ethnicity, relationship status  Change o Growth/decline o Processes: mortality, fertility, migration - why are they growing or shrinking?  Two different types of demography o Formal demography - interested in the what of demography  Counting people: size, rates, etc  Historical legacy  Mathematical focus o Social demography/population studies - interested in why is that the state of things  Relationships - why is fertility going up in some places and down in other  Causes and consequences of demographics  Theoretical and quantitative relationships  Population equation/balancing equation o Mathematical combination of core elements of demography  P2 = P1 +B -D +I -O  P1 = population at time 1  P2 = Population at time 2  B = births  D = deaths  I = In migration between time 1 and time 2  O = out migration between
More Less

Related notes for SOCI 234

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.