SOCI 230 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: West Coast University, Racism, White Privilege

11 views4 pages
Lecture 23: Understanding Racism and Racial Inequality in the 21st Century
April 3rd, 2018
! What is so new about new racism?
!Understanding racism and racial inequality in the 21st century -- > color blind racism
!21st century racism discourse: Partly stemming from the difference in perception of how
much racism still exists in society between whites vs. non-whites (whites think it no longer
exists)
!Old-Fashion Racism: races are biologically different, racial ‘traits’ are fixed, and inherited,
racist practices are overt, inequality due to inherent inferiority of non-whites
!New Racism: races culturally different (inferior/superior) … racial discrimination is subtle
… legal protections for minorities (anti-discrimination/ affirmative action) thus whites think
racism no longer exists … inequality is assumed to be due to non-race issues (minorities have
less merit/ability)
!Little agreement among scholars, let alone public
!Modern racism as falling along a spectrum
! Racism without racists
!Racism without racists: actions, words, images can constitute racism without the person
being ‘racist’ per se
o!The person/ institution did not have the intention to be racist or harm the minority
group
!Increasingly disconnected between racial discrimination and personal attitudes, beliefs, and
prejudices
!Color-blind racism: “a distorted view of race relations that is distinct from racial prejudice
Color-Blind Racism
! Bonilla-Silva data sources
!1997 Survey of Social Attitudes of College Students
o!N=627 college students (72% white)
o!Convenience sample
o!Drawn from: (i) large midwestern university, (ii) large southern university, and (iii)
mid-size west coast university
o!In-depth interviews with 41 white students
!1998 Detroit Area Study
o!N=400 Detroit metro area residents (81% white)
o!Stratified random sample
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Lecture 23: understanding racism and racial inequality in the 21st century. Racism without racists: racism without racists: actions, words, images can constitute racism without the person being racist" per se o the person/ institution did not have the intention to be racist or harm the minority group. Increasingly disconnected between racial discrimination and personal attitudes, beliefs, and prejudices: color-blind racism: a distorted view of race relations that is distinct from racial prejudice. I don"t think that they should be provided with unique opportunities. I think they should have the same opportunities as everyone else. You know, it"s up to them to meet the standards and whatever that"s required for entrance into universities or whatever. I don"t think that just because they"re a minority that they should, you know, not meet the requirements. (sue, student) Oh tell them to shut up, ok! I had nothing to do with the whole situation.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers