Logic Lecture – What is an Argument?
• What is an Argument?
• Different Parts of an Argument (premises and conclusions, claims)
o Milgram Experiment
• Volunteer asked to test effects of punishment on learning
• Delivered shocks with wrong answer, increasing shock values
• If a person of authority told them to do something, the volunteer
would do it
o Stanford prison experiment
• Students were randomly assigned either the guard or prisoner
• The experiment were shut down after a few days because the
guards were getting violent
o As shown by these experiments, people lack the critical thinking to
• Qualities a good critical thinker possesses
o Mental flexibility
o Research and inquiry skills
Creative problem solving abilities
o Analytical skills
• What is an argument?
o Another word for quarrel
o A claim or set of claims put forward to support a further claim
o Argument has two components
• Premises - claim(s) which provide evidence or reasons for
accepting a f