Chapter 1 – Introduction to Geography
What is geography?
The study of patterns ad processes on the earth’s surface
Two branches of geography:
– Study of patterns & processes of the physical world
– Physical environment
– Study of patterns & processes of the human world
– Social environment
• The spatial patterns of people, their cultures, economies, settlements, political and social
structures, and behavior
• The study of not just the spatial organization of human activities, but also the significant
meanings attached to the places where these activities take place
What is Human Geography?
– Description of the spatial organization (patterns) of people, places, and human phenomena