For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
November 16, 2012
The Pathans Video Notes
Pakhtun (more of an outside term, but same thing)
Speak Pashto (akin to Fasri; Indo-European lang.
Historically related to Persians
Organized tribally, but very specific, segmentary lineage system -> decent traced through
fathers line, leads to system of nested publics (?)
“Massing effect” – (homocide + revenge example)
What is jirga?
- Pashto term for a decision-making assembly -> decide what to do in a situation of
a dispute based on collective
- Composed of male elders
- In Pakistan…
- "most criminal cases are handled by a tribal Jirga rather than by laws or police"
- there is another man who is called in (Nian) who gives the final say on the verdict
that the jirga comes to
- at the end, the 2 parties/people hug and embrace the decision made
- unwritten code of honour that structures peoples behaviour