MUSIC 1AA3 Lecture Notes - Deutschlandlied, London Symphonies, Minuet
16 views1 pages
• classical principles of clarity, proportion, naturalness (music of the heart)
• melodies more tuneful, less complicated
• phrase structure in all genres more balanced
• homophonic than polyphonic!
• more contrasty
Haydn - string quart. in C Major
• based on repeating melody, "god save Franz" (now german national anthem)
• set of variations - problem: tune associated with unchanging emperor so how to vary it?
• melody stays, surrounded by contrasting music
• Haydn melody 5 phrases AABCC (periodic)
Haydn - symphony no. 102 in Bb major, 3rd & 4th movement
• composed 1794/5 for 2nd visit to UK
• one of haydns 12 London symphonies
• 3rd mov. minuet and trio form: overall ABA (ternary)
◦A: minuet in rounded binary (aaba)
◦B: trio in binary (aabb)
◦A: ends with de capo, minuet in rounded binary (aaba)
• 4th moc Rondo form ABACADACA
◦A: main theme (each time in tonic)
◦B,C,D have contrasting themes, keys, textures etc.
Mozart - symphony no. 40, 1st mov.
• sonata form, sometimes called 1st mov. form
◦expansion of rounded binary
• no 2 sonatas exact same, but share some features
• Exposition then Exposition' then Development then Recapitulation then Recapitulation'
Piano Concerto in A Major
• drama of contrast
◦orchestra alone; soloist alone; one supports the other; soloist and orchestra equal importance
• when mozie went to Vienna to become awesome he wrote it
• concerto is a 3 mov. gener
◦1st: modiﬁed Sonata form
◦2nd Sonatina, theme and variations, or ABA
◦3rd: ﬁnale, sonata or rondo
◦1st mov - good example of mozarts melodic generosity (4 themes: 1,2,3 are homophonic)
▪1st - serene
▪2nd - more agitated
▪3rd - short note values
▪4th - calm