Introduction to Japan Jan. 9, 2014.
Geography of Japan
- Japan is made up of 7,000 islands
• four main islands: Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushu
- Japan population: 135m Central Tokyo: 12m Greater Tokyo: 32m
- homogenous: 99% Japanese, 200,000 Brazilians
- 23% of the population is at the age of 65+
- plains are limited, therefore the urban landscape of Japan has been divided
• 13% of Japan is farmland
• 20% of land is liveable
- kanji: Chinese characters
- hiragana: alphabet
- katakana: syllables of Japanese but written in sharper lines (used to write foreign words)
- romaji: English letters
- Aas in hall
- I as in eek!
- U as in Ew, gross!
- E as in bell
- O as in Toronto
- Ai as in high
- Ei as in how’s it going eh?
- Buddhism: 75%
- Shinto: 85% -- “ indigenous religion of Japan” Introduction to Japan Jan. 9, 2014.
- Christian: 1%
- new religions: 20%
- non-religious: 70%
• people are affiliated with more than one religion
• see it more as tradition than religion