RELIGST 2YY3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Selfishness, Retributive Justice
21 views1 pages
- Scholars believe that the narrative of Job wasn’t written completely as one,
there were 2 parts
- The rst 3 chapters were written last and were used to explain why Job was
- What are similarities we nd between the movie and the story of Job?
oBoth central protagonists lose almost everything
oBoth deal with su#ering and pain
oHow can pain be monstrous?
Is emotional pain more painful than physical pain?
Is it a necessary in*iction of monster?
oKolya goes to jail whereas Job had a return to his life
oJob was a righteous man but Kolya was not
oKolya su#ers less physical pain than Job
- How does society maintain order against chaos?
- When does society itself become chaos?
oWhen we break our own laws for the greater good
oWhen countries declare states of emergencies
oGang warfar and retributive justice
oWhen certain violent moral beielf systems take control and lash out
- Hobbes: government is the theatrical unifer or organizer of cometing wills. Ppl
are inherently self-intrested. Having unifying governments bring together and
bring to submission these competing wills
- Hobbes order: a leviathan that will provide a single order against the chaos of
- Hobbes compared the creation of leviathan to gods creation of humanity
- The leviatian operates to bring brute force, delivering justice without
- What happens when state becomes unlawful?
Keep in mind
- How is dominance taught? How is it learned?
- Keep a short list of things taught throughout the lm, pay attention to last 10
- Key question: what kind of society do you want to live in?