CLST 335 Lecture Notes - Lecture 24: Epigram, Theocritus, Cream Cheese

34 views5 pages

Document Summary

In hellenistic period, we see more written texts and so reading becomes a highly individual concept. Sense of loss and nostalgia for great culture of past, in particular homer and attic tragic poets, now seen as product of bygone era. Identity of hellenes based on attachment to earlier greek culture. Study of greek literature of past, which becomes a science in museum of alexandria, where philology is developed. Current literary production is always in conversation with works of past, a model that is almost impossible to equal: appropriation and re-interpretation of great texts of past. Intertextuality is very common feature of hellenistic literature. I(cid:374)terest i(cid:374) depi(cid:272)tio(cid:374) of life of (cid:862)ordi(cid:374)ar(cid:455) people(cid:863) i(cid:374) literature for upper (cid:272)lass. Notion of superiority of ancient greek literature (cid:862)apollo(cid:374)ius (cid:894)helle(cid:374)isti(cid:272) author fro(cid:373) hodes(cid:895) is (cid:374)ot ad(cid:373)itted to lists drawn up by professors of literature, because the critics, aristarchus and aristophanes (librarians of. They had papyrus fragments containing text from classical period.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers