Class Notes (905,573)
CA (538,432)
Queen's (17,786)
ECO (341)
ECON 231 (9)
Huang Hui (6)
Lecture

Burgernomics Burgernomics PPP essay Outlines the necessary components associated with writing about the discussion topic

1 Page

Department
Economics
Course Code
ECON 231
Professor
Huang Hui

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
Thomas Lypps 20232722 March 10, 2010
Burgernomics
Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) is the ‘ideal’ that price levels in any two countries should be the same
after the transfer/exchange of currency for trade. It is considered an ideal because it makes sense in a
theoretical sense but in a practice it does not hold. PPP tends to fail because of three main things: non-
traded goods, pricing to the market, and trade barriers.
The basis to PPP is the Law of One Price, “abstracting from complicating factors such as transportation
costs, taxes, and tariffs, the law of one price states that any good that is traded on world markets will
sell for the same price in every country engaged in trade, when prices are expressed in a common
currency.”1
Relative PPP is based on the relative consumption and/or production of a given country. For example,
Canadians may like to eat more blueberries than Britain, in which case, by supply and demand, they
would be more expensive in Canada than in Britain if the production factors where the same.
Interest rate parity is one of the other reasons why PPP does not hold, because of its influence in non-
tradable goods, where a party is able to have a covered investment. It is considered covered because
Interest rate parity is a non-arbitrage condition which says that the returns from borrowing in one currency,
exchanging that currency for another currency and investing in interest-bearing instruments of the second
currency, while simultaneously purchasing futures contracts to convert the currency back at the end of the
holding period, should be equal to the returns from purchasing and holding similar interest-bearing instruments
of the first currency. If the returns are different, an arbitrage transaction could, in theory, produce a risk-free
return.”2
The uncovered side of the interest rate parity is called the International Fisher Effect, where the future
nominal exchange rates is predicted by the difference of nominal interest rates in the two countries,
assuming the currency of the country with the lower nominal interest rate will increase in value. Where
essentially it becomes true arbitrage where money is being traded across markets to profit from the
difference in conversions and using interest rates as a predictor of future currency movement.
Considering a countries currency, there is an Impossible Trinity where a country can only have a
combination of any two factors and not all three. These factors are free capital flow, sovereign
monetary policy, and/or a fixed exchange rate. Given any two, it is not possible to have the third
regardless of the policies and procedures put into place.
Although PPP serves as a useful way of thinking about foreign exchange markets, because of the
external factors affecting it, its failure to be upheld proves it to be a poor predictor. Considering non-
traded goods, pricing to the market, and trade barriers, predicting through practical application, we can
see how there are discrepancies in the foreign exchange market.
1 Burgernomics: A Big Mac™ Guide to Purchasing Power Parity, Michael R. Pakko and Patricia S. Pollard,
November/December, 2003.
2 Wikipedia, Interest rate parity, accessed 07/03/10,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interest_rate_parity#Uncovered_interest_rate_parity

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Thomas Lypps 20232722 March 10, 2010 Burgernomics Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) is the ‘ideal’ that price levels in any two countries should be the same after the transfer/exchange of currency for trade. It is considered an ideal because it makes sense in a theoretical sense but in a practice it does not hold. PPP tends to fail because of three main things: non- traded goods, pricing to the market, and trade barriers. The basis to PPP is the Law of One Price, “abstracting from complicating factors such as transportation costs, taxes, and tariffs, the law of one price states that any good that is traded on world markets will sell for the same price in every country engaged in trade, when prices are expressed in a common currency.” 1 Relative PPP is based on the relative consumption and/or production of a given country. For example, Canadians may like to eat more blueberries than Britain, in which case, by supply and demand, they would be more expensive in Canada than in Britain if the production factors where the same. Interest rate parity is one of the other reasons why PPP does not hold, because of its influence in non- tradable goods, where a party is able to have a covered investment. It is considered covered because “Interest rate parity is a non-arbitrage condition which says that the returns from borrowing in one currency, exchanging that currency for another currency and investing in interest-bearing instruments of the second currency, while simultaneously purchasing futures contracts to convert the currency back at the end of the holding period, should be equal to t
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit