ENSC 310 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Alpine Skiing, Exposure Assessment, Snowmobile

53 views3 pages

Document Summary

A judgment about the probability and severity of undesirable consequences of an activity or event taking place: cause harm to humans and their environment. 2 components of risk: hazard, unwanted outcome (what are you worried about happening, probability, likelihood that the hazard will actually occur, a fraction or percentage. Tend to discount things that will happen further in the future. How quickly the effects will be felt, how reversible they are. Factors that distort perception of risk: environmental accidents i. e nuclear meltdowns, group accidents. Rare, people don"t care when only a few people die: perceived benefits of the activity. Greater risk people are willing to accept based on benefits i. e driving a car: extent to which the activity is voluntary. People are willing to accept risk if they are choosing it: familiarity with the activity. How familiar you are with an activity i. e power tools, snow mobiling: sense of control over the activity.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers