ENSC 320 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Sloss Debate, Minimum Viable Population, Groundwater Recharge

27 views4 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 14: parks and protected areas vast majority of past and current efforts to conserve wildlife have focused on the species (i. e endangered species) However, species are inextricably linked to their habitat growing recognition of this over last quarter century (especially evident in light of habitat loss) Protected areas context: ecological, economic, educational, recreational and health, scientific, spiritual and cultural benefits, arguably best tool for conserving biodiversity. Definition: an area of land and/or sea especially dedicated to the protection and maintenance of biological diversity, and of natural and associated cultural resources, and managed through legal or other effective means". Scenic qualities originally used: i. e banff, grand canyon, yellowstone value shift ecological criteria now often used, rarity/uniqueness. Protect features that are rate and/or unique by protecting the areas where they are located. Features could be species (i. e threatened, endangered species) and/or ecosystem (i. e rare)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers