HIST 285 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Colonia Del Sacramento, Bourbon Reforms, Alcabala

22 views2 pages

Document Summary

Week 9 part i: bourbon and pombaline reforms. Bourbon reforms (spanish america: military, standing armies. Created to also push the limits of the frontiers. Military consisted of salaried individuals and provided with uniforms, weapons, etc. There is a growing number of free people of african descent who are obtaining military positions, allowing them to achieve status and prestige. Military puts a lot of budget into fortifying peripheral areas (i. e. fortress in havana, cuba): fiscal. Alcabala (sales tax): raised from 3% to 5%. Bourbons abolished indigenous peoples being exempt from sales tax. New taxes on certain products (wine, tobacco, vanilla, leather) State monopolies were set up by trading companies for certain products (i. e. tobacco, gun powder, or ice) because monarch wanted to control who produced what and how their prices are regulated. Mestizos were now tributaries and were to annually pay a certain amount: treaty of madrid: 1750.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers