LAW 204 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Regulatory Law, Canadian Business, North American Free Trade Agreement

191 views11 pages
21 Oct 2017
Department
Course

Document Summary

Learning objectives: define the legal framework for business, specifically in canada. Philosophers who have come up with unique approaches to law are john locke and karl marx. Karl marx: law is a tool of the powerful to remain in power. Criminal law: assault and battery; i do(cid:374)"t like (cid:373)(cid:455) (cid:374)eigh(cid:271)ou(cid:396) (cid:271)ut i"(cid:373) (cid:374)ot goi(cid:374)g to get i(cid:374)to a fist fight just so i (cid:272)a(cid:374) get charged with assault and battery. Civil law: regulates when people enter into a contract; e. g. when a worker gets injured on the job an needs compensation. Regulatory law: the government will pass certain laws e. g. liquor licensing board of ontario to get a liquor. License in order to sell alcohol; while adhering to certain rules. If those rules are broken, there are punishments that are not as severe or as harsh e. g. losing the liquor license. Constitutional law: the law that regulates our government/government structure.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers