PSYC 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Categorical Perception, Psycholinguistics, Pragmatics

19 views3 pages
salmonllama211 and 39398 others unlocked
PSYC 100 Full Course Notes
PSYC 100 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
65 documents

Document Summary

Semanticity use of symbols to communicate meaning. Displacement not in the here and now. Not the same thing as the alphabet. The study of these is called phonology . Some information (e. g. light) is perceived as points along a continuum. With phonemes, there are not shades of grey. Words have similar structure, sounds, vowels, consonants. Intonation in chinese carries both syntax and semantic info. English mostly like this, outside of special cases. Either free (its own word) or bound (e. g. suffix) The study of these is called morphology . Evidence: difficulty with syntactically incorrect sentences kicked the girl ball the . Garden path sentences the old man the boat . One morning i shot an elephant in my pyjamas. Hot it got into my pyjamas i"ll never know. Can completely change the meaning of language. Genes vs learned behaviour nature vs nurture. Correlation in ability to understand complexity vs. language. Children can distinguish all phonemes until 12 months.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers