Week 16 Lecture Psych
Major Theories of Developmental Psychology
Piles of Theories
- helps us organize, predict, and make sense of the world
- frame how people look at the world, interpret situations and make decisions
- vague theories can’t be proven wrong
- developmental psychology is a trajectory
- Erikson – stages involve conflict resolution
- Bronfenbrenner – ecological systems model
- Piaget – schema, 4 stages, little scientists
- Bandura – reciprocal determinism, bobo doll
- Core knowledge – kids are born with sophisticated cognitive tools
- Theory theory – hypothesis testing
- Vygotsky – socio-cultural, zone of proximal development, social scaffolding
- hypotheses cant be proven right
Why have theories or frameworks at all?
- human development is complex, varied, fascination, exciting
- but what is normal?
- at what point do we intervene?
- while piaget was wrong about many things he was right about others