Sociology
Course
SOCY 225
Professor
Richard Day
Semester
Winter

Description
Week 7b: SOCY225 Essay • I am going to study shihtzu dog emperors – do some work about how shih tzu is  fact In Class Assignment: Reading through Allusion & Irony • Allusion – writing about things we think people know – exclusion  • Irony –  • Jean Baudrillard  • What does JB mean when he says silence is an ‘absolute weapon’ of the mass • May not mean what they are appearing to say  • HINT: think about the TPDs (plural) against which JB is writing, throughout this  piece – writing to the people he is mentioning and naming  • HINT: remember that, in terms of irony, he makes me look like a simple happy  puppy, there is many voices  • Figure out everything for silence of the masses  • Silent treatment – silence is a form of resistance  • Does not say who the weapon is for ?  • Alienation  ▯mocking Marx   ▯RDAY says: he is let down by the mass – said you  would rise up and do things but they’re doing nothing. Angry upset revolutionary  – how social change happens and the discourse associated –how does the it switch  from capitalism to dictarship  Readings Empire • Autonomist Marxism – Negri & Hardt  • “Barking dog or rabbit” discourse  • Autonomous: believes the proletariat, bringing on the revolution, should do so  without any political party • Style is ‘prophetic revolutionary poetry’ it’s a manifesto.. Communist Manifesto  for the 21  Century  ▯hoping people to do stuff, are people doing what they say  they’re doing? In other words, is Bauddilard wrong?  • High flying theory, doesn’t often touch down  ▯what 
More Less

Related notes for SOCY 225

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit