21 Jun 2018
Department
Course
Professor
TBIOMD 302: Human Physiology
Winter 2018
Instructor: Marc Nahmani, Ph.D.
Office: SCI 102K
Email: Contact me via Canvas message or email (mnahm[email protected])
Office phone: 253-692-4463 (Canvas message or email are better bets to reach me)
Office hours: Monday 11 AM 1 PM in SCI 102K; or by appointment
Class schedule
Lecture: MWF, 9:30 10:50 AM in JOY 117
Website: https://canvas.uw.edu (our Canvas course site): Using Internet Explorer may
cause problems when using Canvas, please try to use another free web browser
(e.g. Chrome, Safari, Firefox).
Required materials:
Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach, by D.U. Silverthorn, 7th Edition All chapter
assignments will come from this text. If you purchase or rent an earlier edition, it is your
responsibility to check with you peers to confirm you are reading the correct pages/chapters.
Access code for Mastering A&P for Human Physiology (online study & quiz site). New
books often come packaged with an access code for Mastering A&P, but not always, so be sure
to check. The UWT bookstore versions most likely DO NOT have Mastering A&P bundled with
them. You do not need the Interactive Physiology CD for this course, that content comes
packaged with Mastering A&P.
If you need to purchase Mastering A&P by itself, go to:
http://www.pearsonmylabandmastering.com/northamerica/masteringaandp/students/get-
registered/index.html
COURSE TITLE for Mastering A&P: HumanPhysNahmaniWNT18
Prerequisites: 1.5 GPA in TESC 140 and 1.7 in TESC 161; recommended: TBIOMD 301
Course Description
This course explores the basic anatomy and detailed function of human organ systems. We will
seek to understand how each system works by investigating the mechanisms whereby specific cells,
regulatory chemicals, and electrical signals, work in synchrony to produce a functional output. We
will also examine how the physiology of our organ systems are integrated in order to maintain a level
of homeostatic control that keeps our internal environment within a ‘healthy regime, and what
happens when these systems break down leading to pathological disease states.
Course Goals
This course has two major goals: (1) Strengthen Critical Thinking Skills hone your ability to
breakdown and reconstruct complex problems by understanding how component parts function
together as a unit, and (2) Memorize and digest the organizational and physiological features of
organ systems and how these systems interact to produce homeostatic set points. It is therefore
imperative that as a student in this course you read and ask yourself questions about the
assigned text, problems, and prompts before class. Lack of preparation and ‘thinking time’ in
this course will put you at a profound disadvantage.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 13 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
TBIOMD 302, Winter 2018
TBIOMD 302: Winter 2018 Class & Assignment Schedule
Week
Date
Lecture Topics, Readings and Assignment Deadlines
(Subject to change - check for updated schedule on Canvas)
1/3
Welcome; Syllabus; PollEv; Cells & Tissues
Ch. 3 (pg.72 88)
1/5
Membrane Dynamics I; Focus Questions (FQ) 1
Ch. 5 (pg. 125 142)
1/8
Membrane Dynamics II
Ch. 5 (pg. 143 160)
1/10
Pathways & Homeostatic Control; Mastering A&P (A&P) 1
End Ch.5 & Ch. 6
1/12
Catch-up Day - Pathways; FQ 2; Quiz 1
Ch. 6
1/15- MLK
NO CLASS
1/17
Neuronal Anatomy & Physiology; A&P 2
Ch. 8 (pg. 227-235,
238-268)
1/19
CNS Anatomy & Function; FQ 3; Differential Diagnosis Set
(DD) 1 (due 1/26)
Ch. 9
1/22
EXAM I
1/24
Autonomic Nervous System;
Ch. 11
1/26
Skeletal Muscle I; FQ 4
Ch. 12 (pg. 378 393)
1/29
Skeletal Muscle II; Quiz 2
Ch. 12 (pg. 394 412)
1/31
Smooth Muscle; DD 2 (due 2/7)
Ch.12 (pg. 406 412)
2/2
Cardiovascular System Heart II; FQ 5; A&P 3
Ch.14 (pg. 454 472)
2/5
Cardiovascular System Heart II; Quiz 3
Ch.14 (pg. 454 472)
2/7
Cardiovascular System Heart III & Blood Pressure I
Ch.15 (pg. 479 495)
2/9
Cardiovascular System Blood Pressure II; A&P 4;
Ch.15 (pg. 496 505)
2/12
Respiratory Mechanics I; Quiz 4 (lectures 13-15); DD 3 (due
2/20)
Ch. 17 (pg. 535 545)
2/14
Respiratory Mechanics II; FQ 6;
Ch. 17 (pg. 546 559)
2/16
EXAM II
2/19 - Pres
NO CLASS
2/21
Kidneys I; DD 4 (due 2/28) FQ 7
Ch. 19 (pg. 590 601)
2/23
Kidneys II; A&P 5
Ch. 19 (pg. 602 614)
2/26
Fluid & Electrolyte Balance I; DD 5 (due 3/5);
Ch. 20 (pg. 619 636)
2/28
Fluid & Electrolyte Balance II; FQ 8
Ch. 20 (pg. 637 650)
3/2
Digestive System I ; FQ 9; Quiz 5
Ch. 21 (pg. 655 671)
3/5
Digestive System II; DD 6 (due 3/12)
Ch. 21 (pg. 672 688)
3/7
Endocrine Control of Metabolism; Quiz 6
Ch. 23
3/9
Immune System I; FQ 10; A&P 6
Ch. 24 (pg. 754 767)
Finals
3/14
FINAL EXAM: Wednesday, March 14, 8:00 AM 10:05 AM in JOY 117
Unlock document

TBIOMD 302, Winter 2018
Course Learning Objectives
At the conclusion of this course, you should be able to:
1) Draw and label the key organizational and anatomical features of each organ system.
2) Describe the mechanisms underlying the physiological output(s) for each organ system.
3) Compare and contrast the physiological processes of individual systems.
4) Read, interpret, and reproduce graphs of physiological function and dysfunction.
5) Describe how regulatory mechanisms maintain homeostatic ‘set points’ for the physiological
outputs of each system.
6) Describe how specific organ systems are anatomically and physiologically integrated
7) Build a conceptual framework for a physiological system from the function of component
parts discussed in earlier lessons.
8) Work with peers as a team to investigate complex problems and determine an agreed upon
solution.
9) Critically analyze a set of clinical symptoms to deduce the most likely site or mechanism of
dysfunction.
10) Critically analyze a description of physiological dysfunction in order to predict the clinical
symptoms that they will most likely produce.
How to Succeed in Human Physiology
This course builds on information you’ve learned in your Introductory Biology courses. If you need
refreshing on cellular organelle function, basic molecular interactions (e.g. bonds, macromolecules),
or basic energy metabolism and enzyme function, you should read Chapters 2, 3 (pg. 59-71) and 4
of this Human Physiology text or similar information from another source (e.g. Biological Science by
Freeman).
In order to succeed in this course it would be a very good idea to:
1) Retain information from one chapter to the next. You should be reading in order to
understand the material, not simply to regurgitate what you’ve read on a quiz or exam.
2) Focus on understanding physiological concepts, mechanisms, and how systems function
as a unit. Remembering terms is important, but doing so should be in the service of learning
the concept. Keep asking yourself: “how does this process lead to the next step?”
3) Form a Study Group! I can’t stress how important this is, even if it is a virtual study group,
find a way to study with at least one other person you don’t know it until you can teach it!
4) Upload your work ON TIME! Focus questions and M&P sets are worth as much as exams,
losing points here will hurt your final grade.
5) Come to Office Hours and TLC. For too many reasons to list, it is a very good idea to
introduce yourself in office hours, ask questions, talk about future/past exams, etc. In
addition, use the great resources you have at the Teaching and Learning Center they
know about this course and can help you with the specific material we are covering!
Unlock document

Document Summary

Contact me via canvas message or email (mnahmani@uw. edu) 253-692-4463 (canvas message or email are better bets to reach me) Monday 11 am 1 pm in sci 102k; or by appointment. Mwf, 9:30 10:50 am in joy 117. Website: cause problems when using canvas, please try to use another free web browser (e. g. chrome, safari, firefox). https://canvas. uw. edu (our canvas course site): using internet explorer may. Required materials: human physiology: an integrated approach, by d. u. Silverthorn, 7th edition all chapter assignments will come from this text. If you purchase or rent an earlier edition, it is your responsibility to check with you peers to confirm you are reading the correct pages/chapters: access code for mastering a&p for human physiology (online study & quiz site). New books often come packaged with an access code for mastering a&p, but not always, so be sure to check. The uwt bookstore versions most likely do not have mastering a&p bundled with them.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers