BCH 463 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Chemical Evolution, Archaea, Cell Theory
268 views12 pages
For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
-I answered all philosophical related questions from last year’s exam. I used the
book for some, and my notes for other. I also recorded the lectures, so most of
my answers are what he said word for word. I did not answer ALL of the
questions from last year’s exam because a few questions were not mentioned by
What is RNA World?
• RNA is a self replicating, self
catalyzing molecule from where
• It has functions that are specific:
1. Recognition and binding – specifically
bind and recognize other sequences
2. Catalysis- catalyzes the
recombination of nucleic acids
3. Can synthesize the formation of
4. Can synthesize the formation of
* If RNA was not only catalytic but if it
could not catalyze the recombination
between other nucleic acid molecules,
the concept of RNA world could not
Describe the proposed steps in chemical evolution.
Miller-Urey experiment – gases, liquids, chemical elements, heating, cooling, electric
spark, that explains the synthesis of organic molecules and the known biochemical.
Show the kinds of inorganic molecules added, types of organic molecules formed and
the kinds of biochemical created.
What are the monomers or polymers that make up present life that were formed during
the Miller-Urey experiment?
- Short polymers
- Compounds that got produced from this experiment:
3. Amino acids
4. Nucleic acids
6. Pyranose and ribose
7. We get the elements that constitute Life, in the exact stererospecificity that is in
- If this experiment failed to produce the same polymers in the correct stereo
specificity that constitute Life, then the theory of where life came from would be dead
What is the fundamental argument against evolution? Relate it to the library of Mendel.
-It could have not happened by chance
-Too unlikely, too improbable