ECN 340 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Minnie Mouse, Sexually Transmitted Infection, Teenage Pregnancy

43 views3 pages
Lecture 4: Chapter 1: The Logic of Life: The Economic Way of Sex, Crime, and Minnie Mouse
The Economics of Sex
Paets, ae ouseles. With these ods Opah Wife itodued Aeia to
the shokig es of the teeage oal se aze
A study, conducted by researchers at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in
Baltimore, found that between 1994 and 2004, young people between ages twelve and
twenty-fou eae oe tha tie as likel to epot that the’d eetl had oal se
Question: Are kids really becoming more depraved or are they just being smart?
Economists claim that: Rational people respond to trade-offs and to incentives (and
disincentives). When the (marginal) costs or (marginal) benefits of a course of action
change, people change their behaviour as they max satisfaction
Rational people think not always consciously about the future as well as the present
as they try to anticipate likely consequences of their actions in an uncertain world
With this definition, the kids must be responding to incentives: the potential cost of oral
se ust e loe tha egula se, thus the sustitute, as the ould sith to
Pepsi if the price of Coca Cola rises
The Importance of the Rationality Postulate
The assumption that people are rational leads us to some clear and testable theories
about the way the world works. It can help us to strip layers of complexity and guide us
toward possible solutions
Example: If crime rates are high in some areas, then rational choice theory says that
crime must pay in those areas: We need to look for a way of raising the cost or lowering
the benefit of committing crime
We do make complex calculations of costs and benefits when we act rationally, but we
often do it unconsciously
The Economics of Sex
Other studies confirm that as cost rise, young people behaviour changes
Example: Klick and Stratmann found that wherever and whenever parental notification
laws concerning pregnancy and abortion are passed, gonorrhea (sexually transmitted
disease) rates start to fall in the teenage population relative to the adult population to
whom, of course, the new laws do not apply
The only explanation for this would seem to be that an abortion notification law
sigifiatl aises the ost of upoteted se, ad that the teenagers rationally
espoded to that ost. Teeage pega ates also fell
The Importance of the Rationality Postulate
Behaioual eooists hae poided plet of poof of so alled iatioalit.
Kahneman won the Nobel Prize in economics in 2002 fo his ok o ehaioual
eoois
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Lecture 4: chapter 1: the logic of life: the economic way of sex, crime, and minnie mouse. The economics of sex: (cid:862)pa(cid:396)e(cid:374)ts, (cid:271)(cid:396)a(cid:272)e (cid:455)ou(cid:396)sel(cid:448)es. (cid:863) with these (cid:449)o(cid:396)ds op(cid:396)ah wi(cid:374)f(cid:396)e(cid:455) i(cid:374)t(cid:396)odu(cid:272)ed a(cid:373)e(cid:396)i(cid:272)a to the sho(cid:272)ki(cid:374)g (cid:374)e(cid:449)s of the (cid:862)tee(cid:374)age o(cid:396)al se(cid:454) (cid:272)(cid:396)aze(cid:863, a study, conducted by researchers at johns hopkins bayview medical center in. Pepsi if the price of coca cola rises. The importance of the rationality postulate: the assumption that people are rational leads us to some clear and testable theories about the way the world works. The importance of the rationality postulate: (cid:862)beha(cid:448)iou(cid:396)al(cid:863) e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)ists ha(cid:448)e p(cid:396)o(cid:448)ided ple(cid:374)t(cid:455) of p(cid:396)oof of so (cid:272)alled (cid:862)i(cid:396)(cid:396)atio(cid:374)alit(cid:455). (cid:863) John list has discovered something that had been hidden in plain sight: that whatever their merits, the laboratory experiments had created a bias toward irrational behaviour, because they put extraordinary situations. E(cid:448)e(cid:374) rats a(cid:396)e (cid:862)ratio(cid:374)al(cid:863: battalio and kagel, gave their rats the choice of drinks, each of which had its own lever.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers