GMS 400 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Culture Shock

57 views2 pages
GMS400 lecture 4 notes -Cultural Variable
Questions probably asked- examples
Problem with this? it’s stereotypig people ad ulture. Thikig eeryoe is the sae i a ertai
group of people. There are often outliers.
Culture shock- seeing the difference in culture and a clash of civilization. People value different things in
their culture.
Its ot aout hagig your ulture. You do’t hae to aept eerythig ut you hae to adapt to it. I
order to get along and to be successful in working with others you have to adapt.
Common cultural heritage- people that basically come from the same background. Have shared history,
culture, values.
Anglo culture- English Culture. Started by the British- US Canada UK Australia. Came from England. Quite
similar all over the world.
Nordic European- Finland Sweden Iceland Denmark Norway
Germanic- Swiss, Germany. Strict, on time and fairly inflexible rule for everything.
Confucian Asia- A way of life, not a religion.
Missing from the list? Isreal. Place in the study with Europe.
Where is Africa? Flaw in the globe study as only 2 countries from Africa submitted their research.
North African fit in with the middle east. Group of countries in central Asia not in the study.
Hofstede head of HR for IBM. Did survey on IBM employees and therefore there is a bias of educated
smart successful people. Study is old and we have changed a lot since then.
Power Distance- People expect in a society that everyone accepts that this is the way the world should
be.
Ex- Parking for senior citizens.
In Sweden everyone has equal rights, same office size, Netherlands- do’t prit positio i usiess
cards
In power distant countries people meet with others of the same status or will not take you seriously.
Austrian probably should be first in the list. Believe in power and hierarchy. Isreal is second last because
everyone has to do military service and start off from the bottom. The status thing is washed out as
everyone knows everyone and has done training with them. Carries over through-out their life.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Thi(cid:374)ki(cid:374)g e(cid:448)eryo(cid:374)e is the sa(cid:373)e i(cid:374) a (cid:272)ertai(cid:374) group of people. Culture shock- seeing the difference in culture and a clash of civilization. You do(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e to a(cid:272)(cid:272)ept e(cid:448)erythi(cid:374)g (cid:271)ut you ha(cid:448)e to adapt to it. I(cid:374) order to get along and to be successful in working with others you have to adapt. Common cultural heritage- people that basically come from the same background. Started by the british- us canada uk australia. Strict, on time and fairly inflexible rule for everything. Confucian asia- a way of life, not a religion. Flaw in the globe study as only 2 countries from africa submitted their research. North african fit in with the middle east. Group of countries in central asia not in the study. Did survey on ibm employees and therefore there is a bias of educated smart successful people. Study is old and we have changed a lot since then.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers