1. TCP/IP Continue 4
2. Network topologies 5
1. DHCP: Is a server designed to assign network nodes required IP addresses.
a. DORA 4 steps to assign IP address to a client.
1. (DHCP Discovery) A client broadcasts:
My Ip address is: 0.0.0.0
Who is 255.255.255.255?
Who is DCHP
2. (Offer) In Step 2: The Net DHCP offers client an IP from its pool of IPs.
3. (Client Request) Request: The client must accept the offered IP from DHCP(s) (if
more than one)
4. (ACK) DHCP acknowledges client’s new IP address (e.g 126.96.36.199)
b. By default an IP is assign for 8 days.
i. it is client’s responsibility to renew its IP.
ii. In Microsoft’s system a client requests renewal of its IP when 50% of lease time
expired 4 days.
IPConfig /release 0.0.0.0
c. If a DHCP Server is not available the client assigns itself an IP of the range: 169.254.x.x
(Only # between 1-254)
d. APIPA: Automatic, Private IP, Address.
The above I