LIR 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Ethnocentrism, Edward Burnett Tylor, Cultural Universal

78 views5 pages

Document Summary

I. artifacts - things people make to enhance their lives i. e. food people eat, clothes they wear. Ii. sociofacts - practices that people follow to regulate their life i. e. regulations that govern behaviour. 218 toryork culture"s characteristics pervasive phenomenon: culture combines visible and invisible things around us. Monday, january 22, 2018: mass culture emerged that cut across class differences (high and low culture) Products are standardized and communicated to vast audience learned behaviour: the way we behave in culture is learned - how we sleep (in a bed), sinking feeling means fright, what we eat (beef ok, dog is unethical) Culture is adaptation to our surroundings through available natural and technological resources explicit and implicit behaviour: cultures are made up of overt, explicit ways of behaving, feeling and acting. Cultural borrowing - american jazz played in paris nightclubs. !4: high v. low culture: classical music = high culture, re ned taste; country music = low culture,

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers