Philosophy
Course
PHL 606
Professor
Kym Mac Laren
Semester
Winter

Description
PHL 606 Class notes 05/03/14 Sartre on the Self’s’ Relation to others  1. The traditional view 2. Sartre View a. The other as a object b. The other as a subject “The Look” 3. What then must Love De carts  De carts (Cartesian)­View >17  century mode of thinking > of what it is to be self, and other ?Thing are  represented by your own conscience > Solipsism>can’t go beyond your own conscience >stuck in your own  conscience>fundamentally closed into my own mind>constructs of your mind> therefore trapped in your subjective  realities   You  never are in touch with the other, it’s all your own minds interpretation > the Other to him, is a physical  representation (body) plus inference to consciences we are in (very lonely world view) Sartre View  We have a direct physical relation with the Other> I perceive and make contact with the others Consciences   Other as the Object> we actually see the other consciences   Ex. Your sitting on a bench, in a park notice your surrounds trees, ponds­lost in the beauty ,etc THEN someone  else comes and sits on the bench > re­orientation>intrusion of your space­ distraction> you are made aware of your  own existence > there’s another perspective 
More Less

Related notes for PHL 606

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit