Lecture Notes POL 203 9-25-12.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Politics and Public Administration
POL 203
Markus Sharaput

Lecture Notes, POL 203, Thursday September 20 , 2012 1. Admin a. Intro self and TA, contact info ([email protected], x2078), office hours (W10-11, Th12-1) i. Andrei Iovu, [email protected] 2. Review: - Canadian context for the TotC a. Staples, p i. linkages and ii. staples trap iii. C-P/M-H dynamic b. Do phases i. Staples ii. Keynesian, efforts to break open c-p, DRee/Ie, regional development iii. Post-staples (KBE, Florida cool cities, transnational cities, etc.) – co- exists c. TotC as a lens i. Show how intensive / extensive strategies map out in resources sectors – how effort to open system results in staples and oil sands ii. How staples theory of development accounts for why hard to break out – if can find temp opening, why do the harder thing? 3. Political Theory and Environmental Justice a. 2 themes this week i. Reinforcing idea of different kinds of environmentalism 1. H+D’s 4 institutional models ii. The idea of the cost of environmentalism 1. Ecological modernization vs. environmental justice 2. 2 theories on how to fix – one is to manage the system better, other is to change how the system works b. National differences in “politics of the environment” i. Issue of how to reconcile universal values / goals (which presumably define environmentalism as a movement) vs the reality of differences in context 1. First reading approaches this in terms of difference in relationship between environmentalists and the state, 2. second in terms of regional cultures of environmental protest / organisation ii. Hunold and Dryzek - Unlike D&D, they are not transnationalists – 1. they are shifting focus from the international system to a comparative approach – a. understanding the whole as the sum of its parts – 2. environmental movement the sum of what happens in each state iii. Basic argument that institutional context matters 1. the relationship between institutional arrangements and civil society affect tactics, organization, detail (as opposed to broad strokes) of goals 2. Oddly, they tend to gloss over the institutional formation of the countries they study, being primarily concerned with the degree of corporatist access greens have (do corporatism) iv. 4-way typology 1. Is the state inclusive or exclusive in its corporatist relationship to greens 2. Is it active or passive in its incorporation 3. Norway inclusive active, US is passive inclusive, Germany is passive exclusive, UK is active exclusive v. Outcomes 1. Norway – lots of gov policy, but anemic grassroots, and limited radicalism – economic modernisation, but no environemtnal justice 2. US – lots of both grassroots and inclusion, but limited real effect – discourse, not action 3. Germany, passive exclusion by clubby corporatist interests leads to radical, effective grassroots 4. Active opposition by UK government lead to aenemic grassroots, until gov relaxed and recent gr growth occurred. vi. How to achieve most effective combination of econ mod. (environment carries a price) inside g
More Less

Related notes for POL 203

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.