SSH 105 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Relativism, Microsoft Powerpoint, Multiple Choice

100 views2 pages

Document Summary

Week three: office hours next week: tuesday 12-3 jor-416, multiple choice true/false which require explanations and short answer questions, cover chapters 1 and 2 and all the material covered in the power point slides for lecture. Relativism (about truth in some subject area: there are truths in that subject area, what the truths are depends upon what we believe them to be, subjective realism: what the truths are depends upon individuals. Advantage: beauty is in the eye of the beholder" everything is very subjective. Cant be a relativist about everything like math or science. Is self defeating: social relativism: what the truths are depends upon what a society or culture believes. I am not completely certain that i am not dreaming or being deceived. Therefore, all my beliefs lack justification as they do not count as knowledge: drawbacks: requiring absolute certainty for a belief to count as knowledge seems to be asking too much.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers