SOC 111 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Margaret Mead, Franz Boas, Arapesh Languages

59 views4 pages

Document Summary

Sept 15, 2016: human behaviour occurs in patterns. People know how to act in different social contexts: human behaviour is predictable. Individuals, groups of people, and cultures act predictably (think: subway/transportation, infrastructure, ideas in maths, sciences, philosophy: human behaviour is the result of social forces. Infrastructure and conditioning train us to act certain ways given the social context. What we believe is not always correct. Examined behaviors in other societies samoa, new guinea, india: teacher franz boas sent her to samoa to study the adolescents and compare to the adolescents in america, to determine whether the aggression, anxiety, and stress in. Similar social standards and expectations: mundugamor: both sexes are aggressive, even with children and during sex. He believed the girls described sexual escapades they had not actually had, giving mead the idea that samoan teens had much more sexual freedom. Critics of freeman argued that ti(cid:373)es (cid:272)ould ha(cid:448)e (cid:272)ha(cid:374)ged (cid:271)et(cid:449)ee(cid:374) his a(cid:374)d mead"s studies, i(cid:374)(cid:272)ludi(cid:374)g a(cid:374) i(cid:374)(cid:272)rease i(cid:374)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers