Sociology
Course
SOC 202
Professor
Louis Pike
Semester
Fall

Description
WESTERN ESSAY (250 words max) The one thing I believe people would be shocked to know about me is my passion for poetry. Instinctively, people do not connect the idea of poetry with an athlete of a competitive nature. People perceive athletes as disciplined, competitive, persevering individuals that are mentally tough. People do not correlate these characteristics with those that write poetry and are artistic, sensitive and profound. Balance between both lifestyles is important to developing self-control and a positive attitude. A poem, in its entirety, is a way one expresses their views on the universe, life and emotion. To me, poetry is an outlet to express my ideas and experiences to others. To transfer emotion from the writer to the paper and then to the reader is not an easy task. Poetry, and like many other forms of writing, needs inspiration. Ideas are endless as we try to capture the world around us in poetry. Our imagination is one thing that can set us apart from other people. We all possess a unique view of everything we see and hear and to put it down on paper in a way that makes people laugh or cry makes it all worthwhile. Poetry allows me to be sensitive as well as empathetic and approachable. It expands my vocabulary and limbers up the imagination. I believe that much of the violence in our society is due to poetry deprivation. Poetry is the beauty of words and like acting is an art-form that has made me who I am today. ACTIVITY 1 (500 words max) Victoria Park Collegiate Institute brought back their rugby team in Sept. 2010-present. Ever since this started I have been Captain.There aren't any physical requirements to be a captain as it has no correlation with setting a strong example. To demonstrate intelligence, toughness, determination, and vision, there are no physical barriers. True leaders are distinguished by motivation, empathy and self-regulation. At first, I didn't know about the sport. It was the determination of trying something new that put me in my position. I play on the badminton team, basketball team, previously on the soccer team, and baseball team, so I am a team-oriented figure and I was really anxious to pursue another challenge. I was always the hardest worker on the team. I gauged myself against the efforts of my peers. This success lead to being named as team captain. As a leader by example I was named leader by position. In my first year of playing rugby, I received MVP (Most Valuable Player) for 7's and MIP (Most Improved Player) for 15's. Being a leader takes discipline and I welcome challenges and look forward to the toughest competitions as tests for myself. I wasn't exactly a born leader. After a few years of playing sports, I started developing skills that would alter my life forever and become part of my very identity. I neve
More Less

Related notes for SOC 202

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit