BISC 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Thermoregulation, Homeostasis, Active Transport

81 views4 pages

Document Summary

Animal morphology and physiology = adaptations: heritable traits that allow some individuals to survive and reproduce in certain environments better than others (higher fitness) Physical laws (mechanical strength diffusion, heat exchange) constrain these adaptations and lead to convergent evolution. Body size also has a big effect on how animals work (sa: volume) Increasing complexity of large, (cid:373)ulti(cid:272)ellular a(cid:374)i(cid:373)als i(cid:373)poses (cid:862)desig(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:374)strai(cid:374)ts(cid:863) o(cid:374) (cid:271)od(cid:455) form/function. Allows for maintenance of homeostasis via negative feedback. Thermoregulation: an example of homeostasis integrating form (morphology), function (physiology), and behaviour animals exchange materials with their environment. The rate at which resources can be obtained depends on sa available for diffusion, active transport, etc. The rate at which resources are used, and wastes/heat produced depends on volume (or mass) As cell number (i. e. body mass/size) increases. Specialized branched or folded surfaces allow for sufficient exchange with environment.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers