BPK 306 Lecture Notes - Lecture 33: Working Memory, Neural Coding, Local Field

103 views4 pages

Document Summary

Brain rhythms (oscillations) occur at long time scales (i. e. annually) to short timescales (electrophysiological oscillations i. e. 10 ms) Suprachiasmatic nucleus: suprachiasmatic nucleus (scn) in the anterior hypothalamus contains a. "24 hour clock" controlled by a gene turnover cycle: scn influences, other organs through pituitary (endocrine interface, annual rhythms through pineal, sleep wakefulness through aras beginning in brainstem, the clock" in the scn can be reset" by sunlight. Throughout the night we cycle through stages of deep sleep and rem (dream) sleep, controlled by thalamic input to cortex. Deep sleep is low-frequency, high amplitude, spatially coherent. Wakefulness and rem are high-frequency, low amplitude, and spatially segregated (less synchronous) Cortical columns are areas with the same receptive fields, and cells within columns oscillate coherently. Different patterns of input from thalamus (i. e. burst vs. tonic) will cause different patterns of cortical activity (eeg) associated with different sleep-wakefulness cycle stages.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers