CMNS 321 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Disintermediation, Simon Frith, Deterritorialization

41 views2 pages
Pop will eat itself: Retromania & Progress in Popular Music
Retromania: the role of the past in shaping the present and the future of popular music
I the artile Toards a Aestheti of Popular Musi, Sio Frith suggested there are four
social functions of music
o The third futio, he suggests, is that usi shapes popular eory ad orgaizes
our sese of tie
o Music focuses our attention on the feeling of time; it is our most vivid experience of
time passing, and is therefore key to our remembrance of things past
Nostalgia: a concept that originally implied a longing to return to a space rather than to a
particular time; it was an ache of displacement
o Today, it is a temporal condition: it refers to missing a previous, past, but above all, a
lost tie i oes life
o Nostalgia is not just a personal emotion, but it also social: it is expressed as a collective
longing
o Retro or vintage style: aesthetic modes of representation that are consciously derivative
or imitative of trends, fashions, or attitudes of the past
So, o the oe had, retro or itage is used to desrie ojets ad attitudes fro the past
that are no longer modern
o But on the other hand, these terms are also indicative of the most modern,
contemporary, and trendy styles
o Retro ad itage, therefore, are ters that siultaeously refer to oth past ad
present
Theorizing retromania: why is it such an important part of popular music today?
In the article Baudrillard in Drag (2013), Brabazon & Redhead, argue that pop time is cyclical
rather that linear
o This ylial teporal loop that ere trapped i is tehologially idued, ad is a
result of:
Deterritorialization: the disconnection from a physical geography and the
imagining of new spaces and social allegiances
Disintermediation: the flatteig of the relatioship etee produers ad
consumers
o The ubiquity of modern media results in temporal cycles that emerge and reemerge at
increasing rates
Its possile the past te years ould eoe the first deade of pop usi to be
remembered by history for its musical technology rather than the actual music itself.
Erik Harvey, Pitchfork (2009)
By offloading our cultural production onto computers and into the cloud, we have virtually
unlimited access to the media of the past
o This ease and immediacy of access has given rise to a sort of obsession with cultural
artifacts of previous years and decades
o The result is cultural production in the present moment that continually cites and
references the past
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class