CMNS 349 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Joel Bakan, Consumerism, Energy Intensity

169 views4 pages
Consumerism/Corporate PR
Greenwashing: government, climate change strategy
Corporate advertising and the oil sands/tar sands
Iage ehaeet ad opoate adoa campaigns often receive less attention than
product-oieted gee aketig e.g. Pezzullo ad Co hapte, ut the ofte tell ig
stoies that hae sigifiat political and ideological impacts.
o Doest fous o poduts/ads, has geate ipat and asperation
In Canada, the most prominent corporate advocacy campaigns often address issues of energy,
economy and the environment, especially in the context of the Alberta oil sands/tar sands. Over
the past decade, media and public attention to this sector has increased substantially.
o Oil should e teated as a atioal esoue that eefits all Caadia athe tha just
Aleta: Canadian should have access to cheaper energy
o More energy is needed to separate oil and sand: enhances pollution and climate change
Dramatic expansion in oil sands production has attracted criticism with respect to adverse local
environmental and health impacts, adverse impacts on global climate change and adverse
impacts on indigenous rights and title.
These criticisms have led to calls for increased government monitoring and regulation. The fossil
fuel industry as well as both federal and provincial governments have mounted a strong PR
response.
(Re)framing the Oil Sands
Framing refers to the selective emphasis of certain characteristics of an issue, and the
marginalization of other aspects. Communicative struggle over how the oil sands is
(re)presented involves a struggle over which images, ideas and feelings (which discourses) the
public associates with this industry.
Cenovus Energy is a major oil sands producer. In 2011, the launched a multimillion dollar
advertising campaign to shape public perceptions of the industry.
o How do these ads Cenovus (re)frame the oil sands?
o What connections/associations do they construct between you and the oil sands?
o What stories are they telling?
o How are they trying to shape how we think and feel about energy more broadly?
Oil as a public good (by private company)
Pipeline PR
Are pipeline companies adopting a similar communications strategy?
Consider the evolution of Enbridge corporate advertising campaigns in the context of its
poposal fo the Nothe Gatea pipelie etee the oil sads a Kitiat.
o Initially, the campaign tried to frame the corporation as a good environmental steward.
o Next, it focused upon economic benefits and opportunities.
o Finally, it shifted to themes of energy and everyday life.
How do these final ads try to reframe the question of social licence (i.e. informal permission
from communities/society for development)?
What are the requirements for sustainable consumption?
How could we make consumption more sustainable?
How could we design markets to help protect the environment rather than damaging it? Amory
Lois agues that akets ake a good seat, a ad aste, ad a ose eligio ited i
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

In canada, the most prominent corporate advocacy campaigns often address issues of energy, economy and the environment, especially in the context of the alberta oil sands/tar sands. Over the past decade, media and public attention to this sector has increased substantially: (cid:862)oil should (cid:271)e t(cid:396)eated as a (cid:374)atio(cid:374)al (cid:396)esou(cid:396)(cid:272)e that (cid:271)e(cid:374)efits all ca(cid:374)adia(cid:374) (cid:396)athe(cid:396) tha(cid:374) just. Communicative struggle over how the oil sands is (re)presented involves a struggle over which images, ideas and feelings (which discourses) the public associates with this industry: cenovus energy is a major oil sands producer. Pipeline pr: are pipeline companies adopting a similar communications strategy, consider the evolution of enbridge corporate advertising campaigns in the context of its p(cid:396)oposal fo(cid:396) the (cid:862)no(cid:396)the(cid:396)(cid:374) gate(cid:449)a(cid:455)(cid:863) pipeli(cid:374)e (cid:271)et(cid:449)ee(cid:374) the oil sa(cid:374)ds a(cid:374) kiti(cid:373)at. Lo(cid:448)i(cid:374)s a(cid:396)gues that (cid:862)(cid:373)a(cid:396)kets (cid:373)ake a good se(cid:396)(cid:448)a(cid:374)t, a (cid:271)ad (cid:373)aste(cid:396), a(cid:374)d a (cid:449)o(cid:396)se (cid:396)eligio(cid:374)(cid:863) (cid:894)(cid:272)ited i(cid:374) 1 (cid:862)this (cid:373)u(cid:272)h i k(cid:374)o(cid:449): a(cid:373)o(cid:396)(cid:455) lo(cid:448)i(cid:374)s(cid:863), the guardian, march 23, 2008).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers