Criminology
Course
CRIM 101
Professor
Barry Cartwright
Semester
Fall

Description
Compound sentences Sentences So far we have looked at some core material about sentences. The propositions they express, their relationships to one another (consistency and inconsistency), truth and the attitudes we can take towards propositions Today were going to dig at bit deeper into sentences. We will learn how to symbolize them and we will learn how to classify them into distinct types of sentences Compound sentences Consider the following 5 sentences I am not excited about the olympics Rose is smart and she earns high marks If you watch TV then you will understand what i am talking about You will earn an A in biology if and only if your mark is above 85 Notice: each of these sentences has at least one sentence as a prt. And 25 have 2 sentences as parts. These are compound sentences: a sentence that is composed of other sentences Contrast; sentences like korean cars are reliable is an atomic sentence: no part of the sentence is another sentence Negation I am not excited about the olympics is a negation: it is an atomic sentence that is negated, or denied, thorugh the use of the word not or an equialent word When we symbolize sentences we will use capital letters to represent atomic sentences (ex, A, B, C) A sentential connective is a word or symbol that is used to conjoin sentences to make compound sentences. In compound sentence a question (i am not excited aout the olympics the sentential connective is not In order to symbolize i am not excited about the olympics we will let o= i am not excited about the olympics The symbol for negation is: Thus we can symbolize i am not excited about the olympicO as : Conjunction Rose is smart and she earns high marks is a conjunction A conjunction in its most basic form is a compound sentence that conjins 2 atomic sentences with an and or equivalent word The symbol for conjunction is : Let S= Rose is smart and let H= Rose earn high marks Rose is smart and she earns high marks can thus be symbolized as SH Conditional If you watch TV then you will understand what Im talking about is a conditional sentence
More Less

Related notes for CRIM 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit