ENGL 205 (4)
Lecture 5

Eng205 Lecture 5 Jan21.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Simon Fraser University
ENGL 205
Nicole Didicher

Eng205 Lecture 5 Minna Guo January 21, 2013  The more repressed a society is, the more the outlet  Canadian society at all with itself—how? -think of selves as against violence, but may go to a hockey game and wish to see a fight Satire  A literary work which ridicules vice/folly in human behaviour; satire usually implies a positive moral alternative without presenting it directly  Vice: vicious behaviour; has to be habitual, usually harmful, immoral, illegal (etc drug use, murder, smoking, domestic or any type of abuse,)  Folly: foolish behaviour, something society would find inappropriate. Not illegal, unethical, harmful to self or others (wearing large fruit hats when it’s uncommon to culture) Rochester and Satire  Rochester does present his positive moral alternative in his poem whereas most don’t.  Rochester sums up his satire in triplets; then continues on to talk about “if there is a good courtier, a good man, who would do good things and not these horrible things that a lot of churchmen do” (line 220) then he would take his satire back if there were such a man “if there are really very virtuous courtiers and churchmen, then I will give up this satire and bow to them and say yes they’re wonderful” but even if that were the case, I’d say they were the exception— not the rule  Liked by the King for his boldness  By being laz
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 205

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.