Class Notes (835,243)
Canada (509,044)
HSCI 120 (49)
Lecture

Hsci 120 - Lecture 2

6 Pages
96 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Health Sciences
Course
HSCI 120
Professor
Carolyn Stewart
Semester
Fall

Description
HSCI 120 September 15, 2010 Lecture 2 Chapters 4, 6, 10, 11 Genital Self- Our attitudes towards our genitals Image Female Outer Sex Vulva: Collective term for the external genitals of the female: clitoris, mons pubis, inner lips, outer Organs (refer lips and vaginal opening page 83) Clitoris: Small, highly sensitive sexual organ in female, found in vaginal entrance (refer page 83), 8000 nerve endings Hymen: Thin membrane covering the vaginal entrance; Culture thinks as a sign of virginity - Some are not born with it and some can tear while playing sports (types of hymen, refer page 88) Mons Pubis: Fatty pad of tissue under the pubic hair Outer Lips, Labia Majora: Rounded pads of fatty tissue lying on either side of vaginal entrance, has pubic hair Inner Lips, Labia Minora: Thin folds of skin lying on either side of vaginal entrance, no pubic hair Bartholin Glands: Two tiny glands inside the inner lips, unknown function, but sometimes infected Perineum: Skin between vagina and anus Introitus: Another word for vagina entrance Vestibule: Area of the vulva enclosed by the inner lips Female Inner Sex Vagina: Birth canal and tunnel which receives penis 8 to 10 cm long if unaroused, inner layer is Organs (refer page 89) vaginal mucosa Pubococcygeus Muscle: Muscle around the vaginal entrance, the sex muscle Vestibular Bulbs: Two pea sized erectile tissue organs on both sides of the vagina, running under the inner lips and Skenes gland, fill with blood when aroused Skenes Gland: The female prostate; aka Paraurethral gland; G-Spot responsible for ejaculations Uterus: Upside down pear where the fetus develops Fundus (top), myometrium (middle), perimetrium (outer) Fallopian Tube: Tube extending from uterus to ovaries Ovaries: Two organs in the female which produce the eggs and sex hormones (estrogen and progesterone) Breasts Nipples: Tip of the breast where milk ducts open Areola: Darker area surrounding nipples Clitoris Circumcision Male vs Female circumcision, Males: doesnt decrease pleasure, Females: takes away pleasure While westerners might think this is unnecessary, the villagers who do this rite follow customs by circumcision, it increases the womans chance of finding a partner (for example) Male External Organs (refer Penis: Male sexual and urinary organ page 93) Corpora Cavernosa: Spongy top part of penis Corpus Spongiosum: Spongy bottom part of penis Erection occurs entirely from blood flow, there is no bone Foreskin, Prepuce: Skin covering tip of penis Scrotum: Skin which houses the testes Male Internal Organs (refer Testes: Balls/Glands in scrotum which produces sperm and sex hormones page 97) Seminiferous Tubules: Tubes in the testes which produce sperm Interstitial Cells: Cells in testes which manufacture testosterone Balls move up and down due to the cremasteric reflex Sperm: Male reproductive cell Epididymis: Highly coiled tube top of testes where sperm mature Vas Deferens: Tube where sperm passes on their way out to ejaculate Seminal Vesicles: Sac structures which lie above prostate, produce 70% of seminal fluid Prostate: Secretes the remaining 30% of the seminal fluid Cowpers Glands: Secretes a clear alkaline fluid into urethra Male Organ Practises Circumcision: Surgical removal of the foreskin Superincision: Surgical slit made on the length of the foreskin Cancer of Breasts Subincision: Surgical slit made underneath the penis, spanning the full penis length and into urethra Usually genetic and lumps in breasts 3 Types: cysts and fibroadenomas are benign, whereas malignant tumors are dangerous Mammography: X-Ray detection of breast lumps Radical Mastectomy: The whole breast and underlying muscles and lymph nodes is removed Lumpectomy: Lump itself and little surrounding tissue is removed Cancer of Hysterectomy: Surgical removal of the uterus Prostate Difficulty in urination Cancer of Testes Painless lump in testes Sperm and Egg Hyaluronidase: Enzyme secreted by sperm which allows sperm to penetrate egg Zygote: Fertilized egg up to 2 weeks Embr
More Less

Related notes for HSCI 120

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit