Health Sciences
Course
HSCI 212
Professor
Nienke Van Houten
Semester
Fall

Description
HSCI212 Journal #6 Required: 1) Thoughts, observations, questions about readings from one of the course books (panic virus/  mountains beyond mountains/ghost map). How does the reading tie into class material? Dr. Farmer was right again. He knew that sooner or later the Peruvian government would ease the  restrictions on the treatment of MDR TB by the socios (Farmer and his crew). It still amazes me  how many lives could’ve been saved if only the Peruvian officials had admitted the World Health  Organization lead treatment wasn’t curing many of the patients. It is also still astonishing to me how  far a government will take things in order to stay trusted and in power.  In chapters 16 to 18, most health polices and patents were detrimental to the health of the people  of both Peru and Haiti. Farmer and Kim had “borrowed” ninety­two thousand dollars in drugs from  the Brigham Hospital. Farmer said that the only drugs available in Haiti have terrible side effects.  The fact that there is no access to good quality drugs in Haiti is probably due to patents, which  increase the cost of drugs. The health policy in Peru denies the existence of MDR TB. A doctor’s  daughter had become resistant to all five of the first line drugs. He was
More Less

Related notes for HSCI 212

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit