HSCI 130 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Five Ws, Cultural Practice

59 views3 pages

Document Summary

Epidemiology: study of distribution and determinants of health-related states in specified populations and the application to control health problems. In epidemiology we work with the 5 w"s. Host factors: different types of host factors that determine which person to be susceptible to disease. Transitory host factors: not carried on, i. e. stress! Range of factors: prevalence of disease vary from place/environment which affect the types and severity of factors that determine susceptibility to disease. How does disease change across time? seasonal, time of day, cyclical: i. e. sexual assault happens more at night. 4 types: nutritive agents, chemical agents, physical agents: Identifying cause of new syndrome: john snow example. Endemic: cases that continually occur in a population i. e. malaria in africa. Pandemic: epidemics that have spread beyond their local region, affecting people in various/all parts of the world. Epidemic: outbreak of disease in a localized group of ppl, spread by: vectors:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers