PSYC 358 (17)
Lecture 7

Lecture 7 Narrative

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Simon Fraser University
PSYC 358
Sherri Atwood

PSYCHOLOGY 358 LECTURE 7: NARRATIVE APPROACH - Narratives are a version of reality; a perspective - Schools and family enculture children into preferred narrative structures Purpose of Narrative - Identity – to make sense of ourselves and others; how we make sense of experiences o We situate ourselves in family and society through the choices we make as we narrate  i.e. “I hit him,” vs. “I defended myself” o - Tying past, present and future together Structure of Narratives - Purpose of the story informs how we tell it (structure) - In part constitute our memory; they help us remember, explain, understand, reinterpret events, change our thinking, cope - Chronology makes the narrative hearable and coherent - MASTER NARRATIVE –culture-wide ideologies shaping the big-N o What the social norm is, what is expected - BIG-N – themes that speakers develop in their stories about the topic, and in support of what they tell o whether, how and why something is the way it is o i.e. We’re not close because of the age gap, we’re really different, we have clashing personalities, etc - SMALL-N – accounts of specific events or interactions o Usually reported speech, dialogue, details, etc. Role of the Listener - Generic backchannels – monitor the (1) quality of the conversation, (2) act as continuers (uh huh, yeah, go on), (3) add nno new content (mmm) occur at appropriate places o Understands that the speaker holds the floor - Specific responses – wincing, exclaiming (No way!), assessments (I don’t think that..) o More co-narrationWho doesn’t get to tell stories? - May vary by culture - Children in America o Deemed as unreliable or less competent storytellers o Children’s resistance: refusals, rejections, mockery, minimal feedback, insult, teasing Who gets to tell stories? - Person with problem or missed opportunity o Telling stories as a means of coping with something going
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 358

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.